Maintaining a healthy weight is important to prevent and control many diseases and conditions.
Also gives you more energy to enjoy life. Overweight or obesity can lead to developing serious health problems including heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, gall stones, breathing problems, osteoarthritis, back pain and cancers.
Many factors can contribute to a person`s weight. These factors include environment, metabolism, family history and genetics, behaviour or habits like eating fast food meals frequently, drinking too much alcohol, avoiding physical activity.
It is measured by calculating BMI- For most adults BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 is considered healthy. BMI between 25 and 29.9 is considered overweight and BMI of 30 and above is considered obese.
- Eating mindfully and eating actually when you are hungry helps with portion control.
- Research suggests digestive health is not only key to overall health but also helps with weight loss. Probiotic rich foods like yogurt Idli, dosa, Dhokla, kanji, kimchi salad could be included.
- Eat a rainbow of fruits and vegetables. Include 3 fruits and 3 vegetables in a day. Make a checklist for these and stick on your fridge.
- Soaking beans and lentils overnight will also reduce stress for the next day cooking.
- Eat seasonally and experiment with new recipes like if pumpkin in season can try making pumpkin soup which has lot of health benefits. It is rich in Vitamin A, C, potassium and magnesium.
- For healthy recipes and personalized nutrition plan contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org or visit my website www.diet4ever.in.
Follow Up Tips
- Start small by taking out couple of hours for kitchen on the weekend and making dishes such as soup, boiling quinoa, brown rice in a bit more quantity that can last for 1-2 days. You can also marinate chicken, fish or tofu that will help for a quick meal.
- Discuss with your kids and family members about their food likings and keeping in mind the nutritional aspect, plan a menu for the week.
- Make a list of meals to be made during the week and order the ingredients accordingly.
- Stock on healthy foods like oats, ragi, flaxseeds, nut milk and butters, eggs, vegetables
- For easy salad options you can keep greens like lettuce, rocket, kale, spinach in the freezer bags so that its readily available. To this can add cherry tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers and cheese dressed with olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper.